In Mandela’s Footsteps
TOUR CODE SJC8
Visit sites of historical significance to Nelson Mandela, combined with a safari
Join us for an inspiring journey of discovery through the life of Mr. Nelson Mandela, the lawyer and political activist. Visit important historical sites in Soweto, Liliesleaf Heritage Site in Rivonia, Robben Island and the vibrant Cape Town Township of Khayelitsha. The tour also includes must-see destinations such as the Cape Point Nature Reserve, and a Big 5 safari experience.
- Vibrant Soweto with its fervent anti-apartheid history and its modern drive for development
- Thrilling Big 5 game viewing in the pristine wilderness of the malaria free Pilanesberg National Park
- Explore Cape Town with its many diverse attractions and tour the spectacular Cape Peninsula with its highlights such as Chapman’s Peak Drive and the Cape Point Nature Reserve
- DEPARTS –selected departure dates
- INCLUDES – 7 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners, accommodation, porterage, transport and sightseeing as specified
- EXCLUDES – Flight and departure tax between Johannesburg and Cape Town. Please book JNB/CPT flight to depart Johannesburg after 15h00
- NOTE – Minimum 2 guests
DAY 1 JOHANNESBURG: Transfer to hotel in Sandton. Remainder of the day at leisure (unescorted).
DAY 2 JOHANNESBURG: Full day tour starting with visit to the Apartheid Museum. Lunch in Soweto and tour through this vibrant township. Visit the Hector Peterson Memorial and Mandela House, then Liliesleaf Heritage Site.
DAY 3 JOHANNEBSURG – PILANESBERG NATIONAL PARK: Early departure to Pilanesberg National Park. Game drive in an open safari vehicle to explore a 58 000ha malaria free African bush.
DAY 4 PILANESBERG NATIONAL PARK: Early morning open safari vehicle game drive. The park is home to healthy populations of lion, leopard, black and white rhino, elephant and buffalo. Lunch at lodge. Afternoon open vehicle game drive, in search of the Big 5. Dinner at lodge.
DAY 5 [FL] PILANESBERG NATIONAL PARK- JOHANNESBURG – CAPE TOWN: Return to Johannesburg Airport, for onward flight to Cape Town. Transfer to hotel and remainder of day at leisure (unescorted).
DAY 6 CAPE TOWN: Full day tour of the Cape Peninsula. Drive through Sea Point, Hout Bay and Cape Point where (by tradition) it is said that the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet. Return to Cape Town through the historic naval base of Simon’s Town and Muizenberg to visit Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, a centre for the preservation of the region’s unique flora.
DAY 7 CAPE TOWN: Robben Island ferry and tour (weather permitting). Visit the maximum security prison and the cell in which Mandela spent 18 years and interact with an ex-political prisoner. Visit Malay Quarter (Bo-Kaap), drive past the District Six Museum, and visit Philani Empowerment Centre in Khayelitsha. Walking tour through “shanty town Khayelitsha” with a local guide - with a visit to his shack to experience local living conditions - followed by a drive through the middle-class Khayelitsha, to share some of the achievements, under the leadership of Mr. Nelson Mandela, such as new housing developments, shopping malls, hospitals and magistrate’s court.
DAY 8 CAPE TOWN: Morning at leisure. Transfer to airport for onward journey.